My transformation Story

Let's Connect

Skin•ny

Definitions of skinny (adj) Encarta World English Dictionary
skin·ny [ skínnee ]   
  1. very thin: thin, especially in an unappealing or unhealthy way
  2. low-fat: made with skim milk
  3. reliable information: the truth about something
            Synonyms: thin, lean, undernourished, emaciated, scrawny, skeletal, scraggy

This might be a little bit of a rant, so I apologize now. When I first started this journey, that is what I wanted to be…skinny!!  But as I ventured deep into my weight loss, I began to really detest that word. Now that I am extremely close to my goal weight, I hear statements like these on a daily basis:

“Hey skinny-mini!”
“You are getting way too skinny!”
“You’re whittling away to nothing.”
“Christy, where did the rest of you go?”
“You would feel warmer if you had more meat on your bones.”

Are those compliments? By everyone calling me skinny, I am just wondering if by the definition listed above, is that how everyone sees me.  Thin, undernourished, scrawny, unappealing or unhealthy?

I think in our own minds some people think skinny is somehow linked with healthy. Maybe because in the media, we see “skinny” people, as models and actresses and we are constantly comparing ourselves to them. We just need to stop comparing. These are people who are paid thousands to millions of dollars to look that way and can afford a high priced trainers and chefs. They also have all the time in the world to workout since nannies and hired help take care of their families. How is that healthy?

For me skinny means, being able to wear clothes comfortably (not a size zero) and fill my closet with the latest fashions.  Being skinny makes me feel confident in my own skin. When I walk into the room with my husband, it makes me feel secure knowing I belong with him. It shows my kids that they can be proud that I take care of myself. I want to show them that being healthy and fit is fun and a great thing. Being skinny allows me to be an inspiration to my friends and family.  Tell me, what does skinny mean to you?


This journey and all that goes with it has made me realize that my goal is not be skinny. I look at myself now and I know that have a bigger framed body. It will never be petite, but it has lean muscle definition and I love it. My goal is to be healthy, fit, and toned. I want a firm body not a skinny one. 5’3, 135lbs is healthy, not skinny!! So thanks to everyone that has given me compliments along the way. All of them have filled my heart, but now the word “skinny” only has negative connotations. I find it just as offensive as if you were to call me fat. So, before you go lightly throwing that word around, please think how it might make others feel.  In the beginning, it felt fabulous to know people thought that of me, but now to me it only represents the gal in the photo below and that is just hideous and is not attractive whatsoever.