My transformation Story

Let's Connect

One month gluten free!

 Starting March 1, I made the decision to go gluten free.  Making the decision wasn’t so hard.  Actually, I found it to be pretty easy.  I don’t have a gluten intolerance, but I thought it would just make me feel better. The decision to make the change was easy however the process of learning to be gluten free continues to be a very long road that only after a month, I feel I have barely scratched the surface on researching and processing all of the information.

When I first cut gluten out of my diet, it only took maybe a week for me to start feeling better. During this last month, I am proud to say that I only had one cheat day. But I felt I had a good reason to cheat. I was participating in a food show with my boss from the theatre to find new snacks and desserts. When I walked in the show, I realized there was no way I was going to be able to eat gluten free.  I tried different foods and snacks, but oh my goodness, did I feel crappy the next day. After this day and two weeks later I am convinced that a gluten free lifestyle was the answer to me feeling better and continuing my healthy lifestyle. While only a month has passed, I am sure I have had a handful of "gluten-filled" experiences where I unknowingly ate it, but I am still in my learning phase.

Some people argue that eating gluten free is expensive. I haven’t noticed any big changes in our grocery bill. Of course the bread I buy is a little more expensive along with yogurts, but other than that, meat, fresh fruits and veggies haven’t changed. The different flours and baking items are a once a month (maybe) buys that I have to do, but it all seems normal.

Going gluten free is certainly not a weight-loss thing for me, but more of just a healthier and fit lifestyle. While I did lose 3lbs when I started, I have quickly realized that just cutting out gluten doesn't make for it easy weight loss. These are not “diet foods” and they are not low-calorie. I do think I feel more energetic and less bloated because being gluten free makes you pay attention to what you are eating. I am cooking more from scratch and it’s the easiest way for me to control the way that I eat.
 
What I miss most:
  • Sushi (While I have found gluten free soy sauce, not all restaurants prepare sushi rice gluten free) 
  • The ability to order anything off a menu
  • Pasta ( I haven’t found a gluten free one that I like yet)

    What I look forward to:
  • Continuing to feel good
  • Increasing my knowledge about what I can eat 
  • Discovering new recipes

Even though I have chosen to go down the gluten free path, doesn’t mean that I will not indulge when I want too. There is only one pizza shop in town (that I know of) that has gluten free crust. I do miss my favorite pizza and flour tortillas. I have a love for mexican food. Corn tortillas just aren’t the same. I know celebrating some special occasions will have me eating cake, brownies, and other foods that aren’t gluten free, and I am okay with that. My plan is just to keep going and stay healthy.

Some fun websites and blogs I follow are listed below: